Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Grandma

Some posts back I related some negative things that I associate with the word 'Grandma' but of course that was very one-sided as there are many good things I associate with Grandma too.
My maternal grandma was also a single mother for most of her children's lives as her husband died when they were only 8 and 4 years old.  She also moved in with someone to support her and her children (my Great Grandma--- who we all called Grandma Great) and found herself a working mom long before it was common.  When my mom was 16 she remarried and moved to Boron, Ca where the man I knew as Grandpa worked at the Borax mines there.
 When I was a child we often went trailer camping; my family, my grandparents and sometimes aunts and uncles too.  We traveled all over the western US and saw many interesting sights.  My Grandma seemed to know the names of all the plants and flowers and would tell us what everything was.   She would always come to our trailer to see if we were up with a cup of coffee in her hand and calling out "Hoo Hoo".  Grandma made the most amazing Divinity candy which I have never managed to make properly and she taught me all the womanly arts of crochet and sewing and embroidery.  When I came to tell her I was getting a divorce she made it quite clear that The Women of Our Family were strong and proud and I would be just fine.  A stoic woman, my Grandma was.  She was never one for tears and hugs but she imparted that strength to me.  She lived by herself until she was 97 years old and then she knew she could no longer manage and so it fell on me to help her put her affairs in order and find a place to live.  My sister was in charge of medical matters and I handled the financial end of things.   I was good with that.  Thank goodness God gives all different strengths and skills!
She had a beautiful voice and sang in the church choir as long as she was able and I always loved to sit next to her in church so I could hear her sing.  Her Bible was well read and worn and I have it to this day.  When I was to get baptized at 12 years old she decided it was time for her too and so we were baptized together in the baptismal at the old First Baptist Church on Lancaster Blvd-- that would have been in 1974!  She was terrified of the water so this was a BIG step for her.  Suffice to say she passed along the way she lived with dignity and strength.  It has just been two years since she passed away.   She taught us to be flexible because life had a way of turning and there was nothing to do but make the best of things.  She taught us to work hard and not complain.  She taught me that there is something quietly beautiful about creating things with your own hand and that these skills should be passed along and never lost.   I have had no luck at all passing along these arts... but you never know.... maybe Parker will be an artist!!

4 comments:

  1. While I may not be artistic I do have a drive to create in my own way. You have passed that on to me :) love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy Lelian WhitcombMarch 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

    Auntie Babe had an inspiring influence and was a wonderful role model in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it grandmothers and divinity? My paternal grandma made it too. How heartwarming that she got baptized with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it grandmothers and divinity? My paternal grandma made it too. How heartwarming that she got baptized with you!

    ReplyDelete