Wednesday, March 5, 2014

In Which I Become 'NahNah'

What does your kiddo call you and why?

When I was in the process of becoming a grandmother (aka when my DD was pregnant)  ('DD' stands for 'Dear Daughter' -- that is the cool way to 'say' it)  I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what I wanted to be called.

I didn't like Grandma----  Grandma conjures up a picture of my mother (not an especially good picture mind you).   'Grandmas' are really really old.  They are not stylish.  They take their teeth out at night and half the time forget to put them back it which is instantly like talking to a hillbilly. And not in a good way.  Grandmas have make up so old it has turned to dust.    

 Granny?  PULEASE!

I looked at Mimi and Lala and Meema, Nanny, Noni, Oma etc...  But since I knew I was going to be a hybrid mom/grandma I didn't want to be called something that he would confuse with Mommy.

What I really wanted was to have him call me 'Yoda'  but that met with a lot of opposition
(That one yet I like....  hmmmm  Yes!  Time there is for young padwan to change his mind)

By the time he came along I hadn't settled on anything and so started out calling myself Grandma but it kinda stuck in my throat every time and felt so weird!!  At some point he started calling me NahNah... not Nana, but with the AH sound.  And that kinda stuck.  Which is so often the case--- the One Who Is In Charge makes the decision for you! (But still... hope springs eternal... Yoda... <sigh>)

SO my peeps:  What is your Mommy / Grandma name and how did you get it?
By the way--- it isn't weird to play with your grandchild using a cat toy, is it?

1 comment:

  1. We are Grandma and Grandpa( and I think we are cool).....The other set of grandparents are YaYa and Pop-pu which is Greek for grandma and grandpa (Bretts mom if full Greek).
    And yes, using a cat toy to play with your grandson IS weird.....

    ReplyDelete